Be a Carioca
Its great to fit in!
The typical style for a Carioca is Relaxed. Most people living in the city wear beach clothes as you might expect. Short's and bathing suits are very common. Flip flops are a MUST and without a pair you´ll be singled out as a gringo.
To dress as a Carioca has many benefits. First, you won´t pay the Gringo price as if you were traveling with sneakers and a shirt that represents your home country. Second, This decreases your chances of being hassled by people trying to sell you over priced product! Thirdly, most importantly it´s the most comfortable way to dress!
PRO TIP - Cariocas never run, being late is a way of City Life. Take your time and relax!
These are a few things you should know.
1. Its best to go to the beach and sit where there is more people.
2. Taking Uber is much better than the Subway or bus after 10pm.
3. The buses run a 24 hour schedule and the Metro closes at 11pm-12am.
4. Download the transportation app MOOVIT...Best one to have!
5. The bus costs 3,80 reais and the Metro costs 4,30 reais.
6. Many times the beach can be crowded at night but remember its better in a group!
7. Vidigal (Favela) is the safest Communidade in Rio. *(Rocinha) is having Gang Trouble.
8. The bus has people selling food, its a good cheap snack for the ride. 1-3 Reais.
9. Favela animals are cute but we advise you just take pictures.
10. If the police tell you to do something...You need to listen.
Phrases you should know!
The Top 10
1. You´re welcome - De Nada or Tranquilo
2. Thank you - Obrigado or Valeu
3. I understand - Eu Entendo
4. Sorry/Excuse me - Desclupe
5. I speak a little Portguese - Eu falo um pouco de portgues.
6. How Much - Quantos or Quantos Reais
7. No, thank you - Nao, Obrigado
8. Good morning - Bom Dia
9. Good Afternoon - Boa Trade
10. Good Night - Boa Noite
Video below about Carioca accent and lifestyle.
And never lose a thing